Rachael Allen lives in Atlanta, GA where she's working furiously on her PhD in neuroscience. When she's not doing science or writing YA, you can find her chasing after her toddler and her two sled dogs. Her debut YA novel 17 FIRST KISSES, is forthcoming from Harper Teen. Rachael may or may not have had 17 first kisses...luckily she doesn't kiss and tell.
More stuff about me:
- I love reading and writing YA.
- I'm represented by the fabulous Susan Hawk of The Bent Agency.
- Laurie Halse Anderson recently gave me writerly advice on a post-it, and it was the culmination of my being.
- I'm obsessed with football. Playing flag football, watching pro football (Falcons Rise Up!), being a belligerent Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets fan, and playing fantasy football with my family.
- I have held a human brain. (It was during anatomy lab. I'm not, like, a serial killer.)
- I'm such a wuss, I get scared watching the previews for horror movies. Seriously, when a scary commercial comes on, I squeal and frantically jab the fast forward button on our DVR remote.
- My debut 17 FIRST KISSES comes out on June 17th, 2014, and according to a friend on Twitter, it's about: "kissing & making mistakes & kissing and friendships & kissing & girls figuring shit out w/o hating each other & kissing." Which I feel is pretty accurate :)
- I love reading about strong female protagonists, fully imagined worlds, rebellion against the establishment, neurodegenerative diseases, and makeover montages - though probably not all in the same book.
- Some writers I love: Laini Taylor, Sarah Ockler, Laurie Halse Anderson, John Green, Libba Bray, Suzanne Collins, E. Lockhart, Kody Keplinger, Sarah Dessen, Lauren Myracle, Stephanie Perkins, Rainbow Rowell, I could go on forever.